[Qgis-user] basic spatialite questions

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 03:15:40 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying out the spatialite in QGIS as an alternative to shapefiles.
 According to what I've read so far, spatialite is better than
shapefile as an offline-portable-single db storage format.  At the
moment I was able to load some spatialite layers in QGIS, do basic
queries using the layer "Query" and perform offline edits and
synchronize.

A couple of questions (I can't find it the qgis 1.6 manual):
1. You can create a new db and create a new layer, but you can't load
an existing shapefile in an existing db?  To do this, I used the
spatialite-gui.
2. To execute the usual SQLs, you need to use plugins (such as
Spatialite Manager, Qspatialite, RT SQL layer)?  Only simple table
queries are possible with the "Query Builder" and "Field Caculator".
3. Spatialite Manager, Qspatialite, RT SQL layer requires the
pyspatialite module which you need to compile from source.  No `python
easy_install pyspatialite` ?
4. Cannot do Layer > Save as > Spatialite?
5. Limited integration with other core QGIS plugin like Ftools?

Thanks in advance!
--
cheers,
maning