[Qgis-user] Bugs, release of 1.7 and release of 1.7 as beta

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 6 05:08:18 PDT 2011

Hi Thomas

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Thomas Wahlmüller
<thomas.wahlmueller at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think the problem arises because many people already used QGIS 1.7.
> Now user have the choice to use 1.6 (missing new features, maybe needed)
> or 1.8 (more bugs) (at least at windows). Maybe it could be useful to
> split Development Branch into two parts. QGIS would be providing three
> Versions. Users could use a stable version, a relative stable
> Development Branch (1.7) while Developers are working on next Version at
> Nightly.
>
> Stable: nearly bug free, ?LTS?
>    ^
>    |    Solving Bugs
> Development: No Blocking Bugs
>    ^
> Nightly: Place for new Features, Solving major Bugs
>
> regards
> thomas

We've tried all these things and many other permutations. The releases
of QGIS need to be tempered with the realities of life: we don't have
the developers to maintain all these different things. I have agreed
to maintain the 1.7 branch with backported bug fixes (for eventual
1.7.x releases) as trunk marches towards 2.0 and thats already eating
into the time I would otherwise spend on development work. The same is
true with other developers - none of us work full time on the project
and we have to snatch hours to work on it here and there where we can.
So while I would love to see LTS, no bugs etc., the project can't
sustain it at the moment.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net