[Qgis-user] Bugs, release of 1.7 and release of 1.7 as beta

. digitalmaps at cox.net
Tue Jun 7 05:28:52 PDT 2011

On 6/7/2011 1:18 AM, maning sambale wrote:
> A gallery showing what you can do with Map Composer would be very
> helpful.  Many users (like me) would often discover a new
> functionality if there are examples (which is why linifiniti blog is
> what I usually visit).
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Paolo Cavallini<cavallini at faunalia.it>  wrote:
>>> I often hear people complain about missing features in the print
>>> composer, but I think that at the current trunk version it is already
>>> quite powerful and maybe the people just aren't aware about some
>>> functionality.

After putting a certain amount of objects in a project, print composer
would lockup. I don't recall exactly how many objects were in the
project before it ceased to function but I ended up with about 45,000
objects in the .svg file. Specifically, when it came time to print or to
export to file, it would lock up, crash really, with error message. The
other thing was the way it handles polylines. I was trying to make
highway polylines render correctly but there was a difference between
what was seen on screen and what was actually printed. The polyline
widths on screen were scaled too large compared to what I was actually
trying to do. When printed I noticed they printed correctly. Getting the
endpoints and intersections of two polylines to merge correctly didn't
work either. I was trying to represent complex interchanges at the
intersection of two highways with on-ramps etc. Couldn't do it. Polyline
patterns are clumsy and difficult to set to useful patterns. Setting a
scale is difficult. Maybe a wizard would help setting scale. Labeling is
an issue. With tens of thousands of objects producing a clearly labeled
print becomes a problem. It was tough even in Inkscape. Sometimes labels
had to broken down into objects and each letter manipulated manually to
make them appear in a readable fashion. I never really did figure out
the labeling to my satisfaction but in the end just went with what I
had, compromising just to get something out the door. The biggest
problem though was print composer locking up while printing after I had
all my coverages turned on. Perhaps a memory issue? I had 4gb of ram,
not enough? I have bigger projects in mind and I'm not sure even
Inkscape will be able to handle what I want to do.