[Qgis-user] FW: Esri File Geodatabase API Is Now Available

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jun 7 09:45:53 PDT 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:

> I'm positive they are binary *.so. The more important development is
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_filegdb.html
>
> Which means yes support could be available soon via gdal/ogr.
>
> I just grabbed it real quick and it looks like this format is going to
> be like Mrsid and ECW where individual users will need to get the files
> and patch their gdal installs.
>
> The download has 2 .so files and a directory of .h files which I believe
> are API samples.
>
> The author of the gdal driver is a Mac user though so we should follow
> up with him about if he's found a way to get it to work on MAC.

The only way it can work natively on OS X is if ESRI made OS X libraries available (they didn't) or source available (they didn't).  It could be done on virtualized Linux, but no Mac programs would be able to use it.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy