[Qgis-user] Very slow performance with large SHP files, with over 200k objects

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Mar 8 23:24:42 PST 2011

Il giorno mar, 08/03/2011 alle 19.16 +0100, Agustin Lobo ha scritto:
> At least regarding the vector operations (ftools), it seems that the
> slowness is because of python code. During
> FOSS4G in Barcelona we raised the question of rewriting all that part in c++

I think the main issue is with the rendering of large and complex
vectors. If one analysis is slow, people can live with, but if loading,
panning and zooming their layers takes tens of seconds, QGIS is simply
unusable for them.
I think this is a real stopper for wider adoption of QGIS in bigger
organization. Of course adding indices helps a lot, and there a re a few
more tricks to speed things up, but it is still an issue.
A possible topic for the next QGIS meeting?
All the best.
--
http://www.faunalia.it/pc