AW: Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS mapserver performance

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Mon Mar 21 01:20:19 PDT 2011

I don't think it sounds that strange. Rendering directly from a binary
stream straight from PostGIS should be much faster than going through a
webserver, creating an image and sending that image to QGIS.

What to check is if the spatial index is properly used by QGIS
Mapserver. Maybe it is using the whole layer for even smaller parts of
the map.

Another thing that often makes a big differnce in performance for wms is
what image format you are requesting. It can vary a little what is
fastest depending on how much colors is involved and how homogeneous the
image is.

But going through a wms-service can never be as fast as rendering the
binary stream dierctly.

Regards
Nicklas