[Qgis-user] Enhanced labels in 1.7.0

Andrew Chapman andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 13:15:34 PDT 2011

I've been looking at the labelling in trunk... and feel that there is a lot
of power and features that I don't fully understand.
1) We now have the "Labels" dialog under layer properties and the "Layer
labelling setting" dialog accessed via the "ABC" tool. To what extent do the
settings via these dialogs interact, or should they be used as an "all or
nothing" choice?
2) Via the "Labels" dialog Advanced tab there are interesting settings that
can be defined by attribute, but their accepted parameters aren't (at least
to me), immediately apparent. It seems that if anything is defined on the
Advanced tab then the settings on the Label Properties tab are ignored - is
this correct?
  - Placement: Is this numeric, or some sort of predefined constants?
  - Angle: This seems to be decimal (0 to 360... or is it MOD 360?), with
zero due east and rotating anticlockwise.
  - Font family: I assume that this is just the name of an installed font,
e.g. Arial.
  - Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikeout: This I assume to be a boolean, but
null or any value, 0 or 1, false or true... ?
  - Size: This seems to take the font size choice (In points / In map units)
from the Label Properties Tab.
  - Size units: Again, is this defined by string or numeric values?
  - Color: I assume that this is a RGB value, but in what format?
  - Data defined position: X & Y coordinates - I assume these are in the
form of the current CRS. The X & Y offsets (from their names) are presumably
signed values. If I size my text in map units, does this mean that I cannot
have an offset in map units too?

Andrew