[Qgis-user] Filter shape file with data in text file?

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:43:12 PDT 2011

if there is a field that is common in both the text file and the
shapefile you could dump the shapefile into postgis, put the text file
with the tenement names in as another table and create a view using
SQL that joins / selects according to the 2nd table with the tenement
names. It sounds more difficult than it is. I've vague recollections
of doing something like this a while back.

Or... a clunky hacky way to do it might be to create another column in
the shapefile and populate each line in the column with the list of
tenements you want, then select where column A contains/is in column
B. I'm not quite sure how well this would work or how easy it is to
populate a column.

I've been playing around with petroleum exploration permits in Oz.
Creating queries based on company name or some other criteria is handy
at times.