[Qgis-user] Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Andrew Chapman andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 11:36:41 PDT 2011

Hi Brent
The PSMA potentially opens the opportunity to introduce GIS to about 10k
lowest tier UK government organisations (parish and town councils). These
are run by volunteers with generally limited time and normally not a lot of
computing experience beyond a word processor and photo editor. If this type
of person is presented with a long and tortuous route to setup and evaluate
GIS, it just will not happen.
I realise that some of the QGIS community may feel that if users cannot
demonstrate abilities and determination above a certain level then they
shouldn’t be encouraged to get involved, but is that a widely held view?
We know that a .gz is just a compressed .gml file, but in my case it took a
while to find out. Yes, we could tell people to uncompress the file and
leave them to find how
 but this just adds one more (admittedly small)
hurdle for them to pass.
Possibly a way round this would be a plug-in to wrap up the (to a new user)
complexity. Once we have a new user up and running, they can develop skills
over time.
Just my thoughts

Andrew