[Qgis-user] Re: Delete a field via GUI

iomeneandrei aborruso at tin.it
Sat May 7 04:15:32 PDT 2011

Ciao Giovanni,
thank you very much.

Giovanni Manghi wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 02:40 -0700, iomeneandrei wrote:
>
> no because OGR doesn't allow it. There is a patch (in ogr) already
> available but has not been applied yet. On Linux the table manager
> plugin let you save the modified shape without needing to make a copy.

I think it's important to have applied it in OGR as soon as possible. Do you
have some tips useful to solicit for it?

Probably it seems something not so important, but I think it puts qgis (with
a certain type of user) in a bad light. In my work I try to spread
opensource gis software, and qsis as Desktop GIS. I meet often user that
have a basic GIS training (often based on Esri products), and they remain
very surprised when they realize that "you can not delete a column in QGIS".
Then I show them "table manager
plugin" and they do not appreciate the need to make a layer duplicate (most
of these users use windows); especially because GIS applications often
produce a great number of files, and they do not appreciate the fact that
the number of files increases "only" because you need to rename a column.
These are only stupid examples, but sometimes I have had users that starting
from this kind of basic limitation have evaluated QGIS an immature product
("It is not able to rename a column, is able to do spatial analysis?").
Probably it's better that QGIS never met this kind of users, but I think
that to spread the use of this fantastic software, it's important to solve
also this kind of limitations.

About table manager plugin: is there two version of table manager plugin? Or
is the power of Linux?

Best regards,

Andrea

-----