[Qgis-user] copy objects

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Sun May 8 16:21:50 PDT 2011

Hi Chuck,

On 09/05/2011, at 04:41 , Chuck Young wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
>
> I have a line shape file of roads and want to select the multiple segments of certain roads and copy them to a new vector layer.  Is this possible and if so what would be the procedure?
>
> Again, Thanks

Certainly possible.

If you select your roads shape file in the layer window, then you can select multiple bits of the layer using the select tools and holding down the ctrl key (or equivalent).
Once you've got the bits you want you can "save selection as" a vector file, either by
	a) right clicking on the roads layer, and choosing "save selection as" or
	b) using the Layer -> "Save Selection as vector file"

(there are other ways to select files if there is something in common with all the roads you want - say if they were all marked as highways in the file)

-ramon.