[Qgis-user] Processing of Groundwater Databases with QGIS

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:21:46 PDT 2011

Spatial interpolation can be realized in many ways. There are lot
different methods, which fit different needs.

 - Inverse Distance Weighting (IDW)
 - B-Splines
 - Kriging
 - Statistical simulations
 - etc.

As you know, none of them is correct without a knowledge of the
groundwater structure and stratygraphy. Anyway, in general, for this
kind of elaborations, IDW and kriging are mostly used.

AFAIK, QGis can do IDW [1], while the other methods will need external
softwares like GRASS and R. In this case the related QGis plugins can
be used.

If you can give us more details on the kind of interpolation you nedd,
we could give more advices.
Giovanni

[1] http://www.gistutor.com/quantum-gis/20-intermediate-quantum-gis-tutorials/51-inverse-distance-weighting-idw-interpolation-using-qgis.html