[Qgis-user] scale dependent point clustering (for visualization only)

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri May 27 04:09:54 PDT 2011

 No, the point displacement render is almost the opposite to clustering.
 It explodes feature that are stacked on top of each other so one can see
 that there are several features at the same place with potentially
 different symbolization.

 A cluster renderer would be a valuable addition to QGIS as a separate
 renderer. If your data resides in Postgis, you can also use Postgis and
 a view if you need clustering. I once did this for a report information
 system. You can round the coordinates and group/aggregate them and then
 average by its original coordinates so that the cluster position is at
 the weighted coordinate of all input point geometries. It is not very
 hard to do in Postgis.

 Andreas

 On Fri, 27 May 2011 11:50:07 +0200, Anita Graser wrote:
> Isn't that what Point Displacement Renderer does?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Anita
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Giovanni Manghi  wrote:
>
>> seems a nive idea for a plugin.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> -- Giovanni --
>>
>> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 16:57 +0800, maning sambale wrote:
>> > I'm looking for ways to create simple visualization of point
>> clusters
>> > (in QGIS of course) similar to the openlayers cluster strategy:
>> > http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html [1]
>> > The purpose is simply for visualization and can be configured by
>> map scale.

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html