[Qgis-user] to line or not to line

bernhard.stroebl at jena.de bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Tue Nov 1 00:36:34 PDT 2011

Hi Gerhardus,

as I experience similar questions at my work, too, I would like to make
some statements in order to (hopefully) clarify things for you:
GIS is about modelling spatial data. QGIS as any other GIS-desktop
software enables you to create maps that show your data. If you need a
_beautiful_ map in a certain scale it might be necessary to _draw_ the
map! As modelling calls for abstraction, your data might not be
sufficient for this beautiful map.
So if you want to calculate all rivers' length or model discharge you
need to represent your rivers as lines (probably digitized in drainage
direction). These lines will be ok for maps from say 1:200000 till
1:500000. Smaller scales would need generalization (e.g. less windings),
as you enter larger scales you would like your rivers as polygons.
In short: If you need you rivers modelled, model them (as lines), if you
need a beautiful map, draw it, if you need both, do both :-)

regards

Bernhard