[Qgis-user] Spatial Query and Highlight geo queries

Carlos Andrade carlosviansi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:09:11 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm new to this list, and I've just recently started using QuantumGis by
suggestion from PostGis community. I've been using QGis for an assignment
at university on an undergrad so I only know the very basics since we are
learning it on our own for a pres.

I have a postgres 9.1, a postgis 1.5.3 that runs okay, the QGIS 1.7.1 that
is okay as well running on a snow leopard on my mac. They are already
connected, and I've been able to use SPIT to load the QGis data into my
postgis database.

There is one thing missing that the professor wants and I've didnt discover
yet, and so I was in hope someone here would have already come across this
situation. I need to show the professor when I run a sql query on my
database (could be on qgis as well as a last resort) the results not only
show up on a terminal window, but have it highlight on the layers file on
qgis (which since has a render of the real map would actually show the real
place on the map).

I saw that Spatial Query did the trick, however it seems still growing and
there are very few functions that do what I need. Besides, i don't input
any SQL statement on it, but the result is just what I wanted: it highlight
the shapes that comes as results.

So, the question is, does anyone know any tool that could do this? I also
saw Query Builder, but it doesn't seem to work the way I want and sql is
just for where clause.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Carlos Andrade
http://carlosandrade.co