[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Possible GUI Enhancement for canvas Selection Editing

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 05:26:33 PST 2011

Mars,

I would interested in what you can come up with.  This would be a good
feature for QGIS IMO.  I had a use case the other day that I needed a user
to bulk update lots of land parcels with a string from a drop down, it was
quite had to do without using the field calculator.  This person was not a
GIS person so having a popup form would have been ideal.

My idea would be to change the way the Identify Tool works in order to
handle multi selection better, single click selects one feature, click and
drag selects a region.  We can use the Rectangle Select tool like this and
it's quite handy.

In terms of UI it would be handy to handy to have the tree view like we do
in the docked Identify window and the form on the left like the single
popup.  If it's a single feature selected then no tree view is shown, if
multi then the tree view is shown.

The root item in the tree view can be selected to update all the selected
items.

All objects
-- 1
-- 2
-- 3
-- 4

Selecting the single item in the list lets you update just that feature.

Selected feature should be highlighted on the map some how.

- Nathan