[Qgis-user] Simplify?

Chris Green chris.green at ibstv.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 04:40:07 PST 2011

Hello

I am using QGIS 1.7 in a Windows 7 environment. Everything seems great
except for the simplify function (Vector->Geometry Tools->Simplify
Geometries)

I am trying to simplify an ESRI shape file which is around 95M. I have tried
various tolerance settings, but although it looks like some simplification
is taking place, actually the file is unchanged. So for example with
tolerance setting of 1.0 I get an encouraging message that says:

'There were 3638321 vertices in original dataset which were reduced to
559351 vertices after simplification'

However after saving the changes to the layer, the dataset still looks
identical to the un-simplified version and the file size remains unchanged
at 95M. I have tried to simplify smaller shape files also, but with the same
result.

Can someone tell me what I am I doing wrong?

Chris