[Qgis-user] Simplify?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Nov 11 12:26:59 PST 2011

I see at least 3 tools in QGIS to do simply.
The one you mentioned in the vector menu (part of ftools)
The DPSimplify plugin (appears to be the precursor to the above tool)
and the Simply function in the vector editor

Of those the last one is the one I've used the most but operates on
individual features at a time. The key question I can see for all of
them though is what tolerance are you setting and what projection is
your data in since this determines the units for tolerance.

I just tested with a tolerance of 1 on a GCS Lat/Lon WGS84 dataset of
lines and it seemed to work fine, I imagine if I had left the tolerance
at 0.0001 it would have done nothing.

Worst case scenario mapshaper is an online tool just for this.

Enjoy,
Alex