[Qgis-user] Problems when using Identify tool in 1.7.1-Wroclaw

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 14:44:21 PST 2011

Hi All,

First I'd like to say that this version of QGis is one of the best
applications I've ever used, period.  I use it on a daily basis for at
least 4 to 5 hours and continue to be amazed at how well it allows me to do
my work.  Kudos to the developers.

However, (there's always a caveat, right) I am encountering a frequent
problem that is somewhat annoying.  In the course of my work I am using
fairly large scale vector data of world coastlines.  If I have the
misfortune of clicking on an extremely complex multi-polygon feature with
the identify tool, I often make my machine unresponsive and am given the
"Force Quit" option before the application has been able to highlight the
feature and bring up the dialog box.  By contrast, the Select tool seems to
deal with the same feature much better.

I has assumed that I was simply starving the machine for memory when this
happens, but after looking at htop it appears instead that I am completely
pegging out the CPU that is trying to do the work.  Is this a known issue?
I have not found other reports in an online search, so I thought I'd ask
here.

Thanks,

Roger