[Qgis-user] Python bindings for SAGA for OSX (Leopard)?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Nov 12 08:15:33 PST 2011

Well, it's looks like SAGA is going to be a tough one on OS X.

One big issue for me is that it doesn't support wxPython (for the GUI) 2.9 yet.  2.9 is needed on Snow Leopard and Lion to make a fully-64bit SAGA.  But it should compile fine with a 32bit wxPython 2.8.  I just prefer to have things keep up with OS X.

Configuration is strange - unlike all other configurations I've seen, SAGA configure does NOT detect or have any way to specify locations for dependent libraries and software, like wxPython, GDAL, PROJ, ...  It either expects libraries to be in standard system paths (/usr, /usr/local), or finds package config scripts (wx-config, gdal-config, ...) during compilation.

This means adding stuff to your PATH to be able to find wxPython at all (the "official" distribution puts it in a subfolder of /usr/local/lib, so wx-config is not in the PATH) or any of my frameworks.  For those that don't have config scripts (ie PROJ), it will probably mean messing around with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS - I didn't get past the wxPython 2.9 problem to be able to try anything else.