[Qgis-user] [WEB CLIENT] Information about QGIS Web Client

GeoTux geotux06 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:43:09 PST 2011

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your feedback.

I will account for what you wrote. However, I think it is still useful for
new users to know that there is a WMS client that is built upon QGIS and
operates tied to QGIS Server and QGIS, so they could be aware of such
software stack and they can eventually choose it as their Web Mapping
solution.

Regarding your question, actually the item "Documentation" consists of
three sub-items: Languages, formats and levels. Those sub-items are there
for describing how the documentation looks like and to whom it is aimed at
(e.g. only developers).

Regards,

Germán

2011/11/14 Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>

> [...]
> servers/protocols project, but to tie it rather closely to QGIS server. If
> you do not use QGIS server I do not recommend using QGIS web client. We try
> to use open standards, but often we have some proprietary extensions to
> make things work (like printing) which are not covered by OGC standards.
>

>  in coming days (perhaps weeks) I'll publish the sixth version of the
>> Web Mapping Client Comparison [1].
>>
>> It will include the QGIS Web Client, so I'd like you to validate the
>> following data, which will help me get accurate information about your
>> project:
>>
>>     * License: BSD
>>
> yes
>

>      * Latest version: ? (2011.??.??)
>>
> we do not have versions/releases, we have rolling releases with irregular
> updates based on user/client demand and developer time.
>
>      * Origin country: Switzerland
>>

> yes - but now it is an international project
>

>      * Origin organization/institute/**university: Andreas Neumann
>>

> although I was the original author, it is now part of the QGIS project, so
> I would just list the QGIS community here. If you want to publish the
> original author - then yes it was me, and my organization is the City of
> Uster in Switzerland. Meanwhile others are using the QGIS Web Client and
> others are contributing, such as Sourcepole, Faunalia and other people from
> the QGIS community.
>

>      * Documentation:
>>           o Languages: English; German
>>

> Documentation language is english, the UI is available in several
> languages like englisch, german, french, italian, portuguese and more.
>

>             o Formats: HTML; Issue Tracker; PDF; TXT; Wiki
>>

> it is based on OpenLayers and GeoExt and builds on HTML, SVG and
> Javascript. For older IE browsers there are VML fallbacks, but this may be
> removed as older IE versions are disappearing (hopefully soon).
>
>            o Levels: Users
>>

> what do you mean by "Levels"?
>

>      * OSGeo project: Yes (QGIS)
>>

> By itself, QGIS web client is not an OSGeo project, but QGIS is part of
> OSGeo, yes.
>

>      * Source code language: Javascript; Python
>>

> yes, Javascript and it requires dependencies, such as OpenLayers, ExtJS
> (currently version 3x) and GeoExt.
>
>      * API language: Javascript
>>

> we do not yet have a published API. We have certain Rest interfaces with
> the server which are documented, but we do not yet have a real
> well-structured and documented JS API.
>

>      * OGC Geo-services support: WMS
>>

> yes
>

>       * Tile-based services support: Yes
>>

> not yet officially supported, but being based on OpenLayers, one can
> always add tile-based layers if one wants.
>

>      * Requires proprietary plug-ins?: No
>>

> yes - not plugin required.
>

>      * Includes metadata component?: No
>>

> We plan to display some metadata which can be maintained in QGIS desktop
> projects - but this is not yet available.
>

>      * Mailing lists: Yes (Users; Developers)

  |\__
(:>__)(
  |/

Soluciones Geoinformáticas Libres