[Qgis-user] Simplify?

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:50:23 PST 2011

GRASS has some very good line simplification options which I believe can be
accessed from within QGis.  I like to run a light Douglas Peucker
simplification to cut the vertice count down without dramatically altering
the appearance of the data, followed by Lang simplification to generalize
the appearance of things.  A good description of the difference between
these algorithms can be found at
http://psimpl.sourceforge.net/douglas-peucker.html and
http://psimpl.sourceforge.net/lang.html.

BTW, using a vary small threshold tolerance with Douglas Peucker is a great
way to remove vertices in a straight-line segments.  For example, running a
tolerance of .0015 on a set of fairly complex world country borders in
GRASS yields the following for me:

 Number of vertices was reduced from 606998 to 230824

This pruning is not discernible against the original data set until about
1.250000 map scale.  At 1:50000 it starts to look a little blocky.

MapShaper is a great tool, and by doing a pruning of your excess vertices
as metioned above, it might put the data under the 80 MB limit and allow
you to use it.

Roger