[Qgis-user] Closure of forum

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 02:25:10 PDT 2012

Hi!
According to qgis.org, there are ten (10) current mailing lists for Qgis.
If there is a need to fragment the communication that much, maybe a
traditional forum with subgroups would be a better idea than my proposal
for a Google group. I feel mailing lists are outdated.
There are a lot of forum services to choose from.

Regards, Mats.E

Den 1 april 2012 10:11 skrev MORREALE Jean Roc <jr.morreale at enoreth.net>:

> The point of the forum closure is to avoid fragmentation of the greatest
> and the rarest resource we have to share with the users : brains.
>
> So unless you can keep a google group in sync with the official list ,
> using a new place will not improve the situation in this regard.
>
> Le 01/04/2012 08:50, Mats Elfström a écrit :
>
>> Hi! Simply find Google Groups and look there for QGISGRASS. Then
>> apply for membership. At the moment, only members can view topics.
>> Personally, I'm in favor of open groups, but this is at the managers
>>  discretion. Making the group free to read, but with restricted
>> posting is a good alternative.
>>
>> Google Groups works very well for the MapInfo forum, MapInfo-L, and
>> the FME forum FME Talk. I am a member of both. Every participant can
>> choose how to take part in the forum, from receiving every post as
>> e-mail, abridged daily summaries, or only reading it on the web.
>>
>> Regards, Mats.E
>>

>> Den 31 mars 2012 20:50 skrev Mark Hall <mhall89446 at att.net
>> <mailto:mhall89446 at att.net>>:
>>

>> How does one join the QGISGRASS group?
>>

>> *From:* Mats Elfström <mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
>> <mailto:mats.elfstrom at gmail.**com <mats.elfstrom at gmail.com>>> *To:* Nick
>> Hopton
>> <nhopton at gmail.com <mailto:nhopton at gmail.com>> *Cc:*
>> qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org <mailto:qgis-user at lists.osgeo.**org<qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>>
>> *Sent:*
>> Sat, March 31, 2012 10:30:52 AM *Subject:* Re: [Qgis-user] Closure of
>>
>> forum
>>
>> Hi! Start a Google Qgis group, or join the existing QGISGRASS group.
>> That way all is taken care of, and no one needs to host or administer
>> the thing. It could be fully open, or for registered users only.
>>
>> Regards, Mats.E
>>

>> Den 31 mars 2012 19:10 skrev Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com
>> <mailto:nhopton at gmail.com>>:
>>

>> I read QGIS-User on Nabble, where the posts on the closure of the
>> forum appear somehow to have got mixed up with the Sextante thread,
>> so forgive me for starting a new thread.
>>
>> The closure is a done deal I suppose but I think it will be harmful
>> to QGIS. Forum users are now being pointed to Stack Exchange but many
>> of them will, I believe, take one look at Stack Exchange and run a
>> mile. The Stack Exchange GIS FAQ makes it quite clear that SE is
>> intended for "...cartographers, database administrators, geographers,
>> programmers, and anyone interested in or using GIS professionally."
>>
>> I don't fit into any one of these categories, nor I think would many
>> of the people who used to post on the forum. They tended to be
>> newcomers to QGIS, or people who make maps and use GIS as just a part
>> of their job, or as part of a recreational activity, or any
>> combination of the three. Some of them will be young and engaged in
>> things like school projects. It would be nice to think that these
>> people will shift to SE, but I can't see this happening. But we'll
> [...]

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at telia.com