[Qgis-user] Oracle Spatial Driver

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Tue Apr 3 02:19:46 PDT 2012

Just a quick general question - would this be an Oracle Spatial or an
Oracle Locator driver? Because (for those who don't know), Oracle give
quite a lot of their spatial stuff for "free" by way of Oracle Locator
(it's included in Oracle Enterprise Edition), but there's a expensive
extension called Oracle Spatial which adds a lot more functions.

Ideally the driver would be able to use the Locator functionality without
triggering the Spatial functionality unless that functionality is
explicitly requested (Oracle have a weird licensing model - everything is
enabled and you can't easily disable it; the onus is on the user not to
use the extensions).

My thoughts/observations anyway, but I'm not the one paying so... :-)
Jonathan