[Qgis-user] Failing to open a valid shp file

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:48:33 PDT 2012

I'm using the shapefile found here:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Redistricting/Plan/s016s9030
specifically:
http://www.flsenate.gov/PublishedContent/Session/Redistricting/Plans/S016S9030/S016S9030_shp.zip

If I open just this one file, it works.  If I open it in a project w/
a bunch of other shapes, it fails - most of the time.  I repeatedly
tried opening the same file (without changing anything on the
filesystem) and finally, it worked.  The only difference I can see is
that I removed a different shp from the project before adding this one
succeeded.

The error I'm getting is:
"/path/to/20120401/s000s9008.shp is not a valid or recognized data source"

I've attached a screenshot of my About page; this is on Mac 10.7.3.

I tried to see if there was a logfile but no dice:
$ sudo lsof | grep -i qgis

How can I troubleshoot this?