[Qgis-user] SEXTANTE - a few ideas/issues

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:31:36 PDT 2012

Magnus

Thanks for your comments!

> 1
> When trying to run v.buffer (and quite a few other tools as well), I get
> this error message:

Other have reported that error as well. It is caused by using files
with a filename including non-ascii characters (ñ, á, ç, etc...).
While we solve that, please use only path locations with ascii
characters

> 2
> When hovering with the mouse over a tool in the toolbox, how about showing a
> short explanation on what the tool does?

The idea is suggested already, and easy to implement (I hope to have
time to do it soon). The problem is, however, that those descriptions
are not available for most algorithms... Anyway, it will help users
once more detailed information is available...

> 3
> When defining folders, such as the Saga folder, how about using a file
> window instead of a blank space for entering the path? This seems easier to
> me.

good idea! :-) I do not know if it is easy to put a complex widget
into a treecell. Someone has done that with QT before?

> 4
> A lot of windows, such as the ftools – Centroids, seem to use a lot of space
> for no reason. I think that they should be as small as possible.

The parameters window has a fixed size no matter which parameters the
algorithm has. I guess it should not be too hard to make it resize
automatically to avoid wasting space...

> 5
> Quite a few buttons, such as the About SEXTANTE – Close, seem much to large.

My fault... I was just lazy when adding them. :-)

> 5
> The help button, the ”?”, doesn´t seem to provide any additional
> information. Is this planned? Otherwise, I think that it should be removed.

Where is that button?? there is only one SEXTANTE button with that
icon (the menu button), and it opens the pdf manual, which I think is
some "additional information". Maybe you are talking about any other
"?" button?

> 6
> I see quite a few abbreviations, such as ”src filename”, ”maxdist”,
> ”hspacing” and ”patval”. To me, this can be confusing in some cases, and I
> think that the full text should be provided. Not sure if this is defined in
> the tool and outside of SEXTANTE.

All those come from external apps (SAGA, GRASS...) Those description
are create automatically, and I am working to improve them, making
them more informative...but that is a tedious (and horribly boring...)
tasks, so I take it bit by bit :-)

> 7
> When trying to add a tool in the modeller and there is a parameter values
> missing, the missing values should be highlighted to guide the user.

You mean instead of showing a message saying "wrong or missing
parameters", to highlight the parameter with wrong value? Good idea as
well :-)

> 8
> The user should be able to inspect/edit added components in the modeller,
> using for example a double click or a right click.

Another great idea...but this one is not so easy to implement as it
seems :-) It will be done anyway, i promise...

> 9
> I would like to see some undo/redo functionality in the modeller.

By now, you can remove algorithms by right clicking on them and
selectino "remove". But a stack of all additions to the model can be
useful to keep and then undo them, that's true... Not user about how
easy it would be to implement....

> 10
> Modeller: When shifting between ”Design” and ”Python code”, the view in
> ”Design” is sometimes shifted.

I noticed that as well...and still do not know how to fix it :-(

Thanks!!