[Qgis-user] After Qgis installation - GRASS6.4 doesn't start anymore

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 04:16:31 PDT 2012

Hi,

I successfully compiled and installed GRASS6.4 with "make -j2 && sudo
checkinstall && sudo ldconfig"
which is usually working perfectly.

But after installing QGIS I can't start GRASS6.4 itself anymore.
I try to launch it from the Terminal like:

x at y:~$ grass64
Cleaning up temporary files ...
Starting GRASS ...
python: can't open file '/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory
Received EXIT message from GUI.
GRASS is not started. Bye.

it seems that the QGIS installation somehow overwrites some
settings/files that are needed for starting
a pure GRASS session (with GUI).

I am working on Ubuntu 12.04 and QGIS 1.8 is installed via the
instructions from qgis.org:
following lines were added to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://qgis.org/debian precise main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian precise main

the installation itself was done with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qgis

After uninstalling qgis with "sudo apt-get autoremove qgis" grass64
can be started again without
any problems.

Maybe this is a known issue, but are there any solutions?

/johannes