[Qgis-user] python error

Jeffrey Durrence jeffrey.durrence at mcleanengineering.com
Mon Dec 3 11:39:54 PST 2012

I wanted to say a big thanks to Matteo for pointing out this fix.  I spent lots of time reviewing the "history" of qgis on my current workstation.  Unfortunately I've been through several versions of Ubuntu, QGIS and PostGIS on this machine.  As a result, I had quite a mix of source entries and/or PPA's, source code and other remnants from previous versions.  I have a bad habit of not fully documenting "WHY I have WHAT I have and HOW I have it," and I'm probably not alone in this.

Though perhaps a bit off topic, I'd appreciate any tips from others on best practices for avoiding a broken QGIS installation (resulting from updates).    After having been bitten by this a couple of times, I'm tempted to disable updates for long periods of time.  I fully understand the disclaimers placed on the nightly builds or other sources described as "unstable," but the most stable releases of the packages that I need are lacking features provided by the newer versions.

I'm okay with the potential risk involved with updating packages from nightly or unstable sources, I'm just looking for a better "undo" procedure when things go wrong and I need to back down to previous versions.  I'd appreciate the advice of others.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Durrence