[Qgis-user] How to digitze points, linestrings, polygons in a single PostGIS geometry-column

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Dec 17 08:32:40 PST 2012

Hi Astrid,

The only way of doing what you suggest is to create your table, then add views splitting out the geometries into the different types for use in QGIS. Update rules may need to be applied to the views to support editing through them

There are other ways of achieving a similar effect, but this is the only way to have the single database geometry column that you specify.

If your use case allows this, I suggest you revisit your requirement for a single table, so that you manage your underlying data in separate tables, & apply a view unioning the tables into the single database view. I think this will be a more robust way to have the editing & data management facilities, & the apparent single table/column that you require.

Brent Wood