[Qgis-user] Google Earth

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Wed Feb 8 17:05:17 PST 2012

> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:07:02 -0700
> From: Chuck Young <wylie1066 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Google Earth
> To: Qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> I hope someone will take the time to help me understand the use of Google
> Earth images and how to acquire them and use them in QGIS.
>
> I have been using Google Earth free version for some time. The images are
> clear and very good resolution.  I recently purchased a copy of the area I
> need that is in MrSid format.  However the resolution is only good to a
> point.  Then it is really pixelated at the zoom level I really need.
> I understand that I need a paid "Pro" subscription to Google earth, but I
> don't know what else and how to go about the actual download or capture of
> the map segments I need. I have seen discussion on the subject and the file
> format etc. but just need to get the pieces together.

You can directly connect QGIS to the Google (or Bing or Yahoo) satellite layer using the openlayers plugin.

But Google doesn't own the imagery, and even if you get Google Earth Pro you aren't actually allowed to use the imagery to create "derivative works".  Exactly how far the permitted use extends will depend on what you are using it for and the law in your country, but my understanding is that it is typically about as far as using it to display the location of your organisation or event in advertising material.
I have seen rumours that you are allowed to do more with the Yahoo imagery, but when I looked I don't think I could even find any information about its licensing.

Regards,
Alister