[Qgis-user] MapInfo tab files?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Feb 9 02:11:20 PST 2012

 Hi Zoltan and others,

 QGIS has a second method to assign styles: using data-defined columns.
 This is where OGR feature styling could be used. You assign certain data
 columns to styling (e.g. font styles, positioning, dashing,
 stroke-width). Label styling in QGIS is a good example where
 data-defined columns work well.

 Not everything is available yet for data-defined styling but
 improvements are made.

 BTW: reading of DXF would also benefit a lot from the support of OGR
 feature styling.

 It is really just the matter of funding or voluntary work to support
 OGR feature styling. Not a major technical problem in my opinion. If
 someone really cares about interoperability he should take the money or
 time to invest in support of OGR feature-styling in QGIS. And if the OGR
 feature styling is not good enough - also invest in OGR feature styling
 improvements.

 Andreas

 On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 11:03:43 +0100 (CET), Siki Zoltan wrote:
> Dear Mats,
>
> it is not only a driver support question. In MapInfo tab file the
> style is stored for each map element in the tab file. QGIS follows
> the
> Shape file logic where no style information is stored besides the
> geometry and atrributes. The only chance to have different styles for
> the elements in QGIS is to create a thematic map.
> AFAIK it is not possible to fill the gap between these two different
> schema upgrading a driver, the QGIS should be redesigned.
>
> Regards,
> Zoltan
>
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Mats Elfström wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> On the MapInfo list, someone wanted to know why map styles in a
>> MapInfo tab
>> file does not show in Qgis.
>> The answer was that the Qgis reader does not support it.
>> This is a pity since one of the tab file advantages is the ability
>> to store
>> map styles.
>> I would like to know if this is a deliberate decision by the Qgis
>> developer, or if the libraries that Qgis uses are the problem.
>>
>> Regards, Mats.E
>> Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
>> tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
>> alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at telia.com

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)