[Qgis-user] Distance matrix function in ftool plug-in problem

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 13 20:55:46 PST 2012

On 02/13/2012 08:35 PM, McGuire, Rhydwyn wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to calculate the difference between a number of points in Qgis, and I am having some trouble understanding what the ftools function has produced, and I want to know what units are in, for example two points which are approximately 12km apart are given the distance 0.11
>
> 1)      I couldn't find the Ftools documentation, if someone knows existing documentation could you please point me to it.
> 2)      Coordinate Reference System I am using is EPSG:4326 WGS84, should I use a different projection to get the distance in km?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Rhydwyn

ftools generally uses whatever your CRS is, in this case EPSG:4326 which
units are degrees. I think there might be and override in the project
settings but I don't know if it applies to ftools or just the on screen
measure tool. Best best is to project your data to a CRS that uses
meters as it's unit. The best choice will vary depending on where you
are in the world and how much area your data covers.

Enjoy,
Alex