[Qgis-user] Visualize Raster Timeseries with Standard Min/Max Values

dpan davepanitz at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 08:47:49 PST 2012

Hi all,

I have raster data for a single, continuous variable (e.g. tmean in May) for
a particular region of interest. I'd like to visualize the progression of
May tmean across several years with a grayscale or color ramp, to show how
it changes through time.

qGIS by default stretches and clips each raster's grayscale ramp to the Min
and Max values for that raster. So each ramp has different Min/Max,
complicating comparison between years.

I thus want to standardize the Min/Max values across the entire dataset. The
only way I've found to do this is to determine the Max and Min values for
the entire dataset, then enter those Min/Max values in Layer
Properties>Style for each raster.

This is obviously impractical for large datasets (even for small ones,
really). How do I do this correctly, so I can easily generate visual
timeseries of a variable of interest?

Many thanks in advance,
Dave