[Qgis-user] how widespread is running nviz from the grass toolbox?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 00:49:01 PST 2012

Hi,

right now we at DebianGIS are packaging the new GRASS 6.4.2, and to make
things nicer for Debian/Ubuntu QGIS users who like to use the GRASS toolbox
we are splitting the GRASS GUIs and Programmers' Manual out into separate
packages, so you only need to install the core processing software, not
the extra bling and all of the GUI library dependencies, etc.

my question for you is if the NVIZ 3D visualization suite should go into
the grass-core package or the grass-gui package? i.e. if you wanted to
run the GRASS toolbox with NVIZ you'd have to install the optional
grass-gui package too. Versus a slightly bigger download for the
grass-core package but have NVIZ always installed. to be honest the
space issue is pretty minimal and can be discounted, this is more of a
conceptual question.

what do you think?

thanks,
Hamish

ps- when posting a patch or something which needs review to an old redmine
ticket, are those cc'd anywhere? or do they just live in the tracker
until some developer decides to look into the ticket? are supplementary
comments echoed on irc? I'm not complaining, just curious if I should be
pinging people personally to give them a head's up that's there's some-
thing there waiting. tx