[Qgis-user] Help with Vector Layer

Megan Carroll megan.mae.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 07:58:50 PST 2012

Good morning,

I am working on a map where the main vector layer is organized by a
typology that, while being text-based, still has value and order.  However,
when I initially tried to organize the layer, it does it alphabetically.  I
have read through the user guide and did not see anything that could help
me out.  The path I am pursuing now is creating another column in the
attribute table, assigning the typologies numbers, and then sorting by
those numbers, but there are over nine hundred counties in my map, and that
would be tedious to say the least.  If that is the only thing that can be
done, I'll do it, but is there a way I can a) sort the different typologies
in a way that is not alphabetical or b) assign these typologies numerical
values in another column quickly as opposed to going through and changing
the values one by one?  Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.