[Qgis-user] G_realloc error

Tilottama Ghosh waggymaggy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 03:20:07 PST 2012

Hi,

I have been trying to convert a shapefile which was created in quantum GIS
to a GRASS vector file using the GRASS tool 'v.in.ogr'.  After completing
about 58% of the conversion I am getting the error message - 'G_realloc:
unable to allocate 44520000 bytes at dbfexe.C:224'. The shapefile is pretty
big - around 1.19 GB. It is a 1km2 graticule covering the expanse of a
country. I am using Quantum GIS 1.7.2. The software is installed in Windows
7 Professional, 32 bit operating system with installed memory of 4 GB.

How can I increase the allocated memory while running the GRASS tool
v.in.ogr? I was thinking of tiling the vactor file?! Any suggestions to
solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tilo