[Qgis-user] Re: PyQgis MapServer Export with Mapserver 6.0.1

Francesc CaƱas kikocanas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:47:53 PST 2012

What I want to do, at last, is display a point shapefile in a viewer with a
global map as a base layer.
To do that, I started with openlayers to put controls and the WMS with the
global map. Up here, it works.

In OpenLayers tutorials I read that I can call a mapserver file with
openlayers and that's for that that I tried to do this way...

I didn't pretend to mix templates with OpenLayers I only pretend to create a
mapfile to call with the instruction:

  layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer( "Projectes_cat",
       "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe", {map:
'C:/ms4w/apache/htdoc/projectes_auma_wgs84_v7.map'} );
    map.addLayer(layer);

Tot test the mapfile I do with the:
'http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:/Users/Francesc/Documents/Projectes_wgs84_v7.map
at the browser.

Sorry, I'm new on it and I don't really understand the way you say: "Begin
with a normal WMS and use either some well behaving GIS client (QGis,
OpenJUMP, Kosmo) or even better, a browser with hand written basic calls.
They are not extraordinary hard to write and by writing the requests
yourself you are the one controlling the situation and not your application.
Basic GetMap is as follows
http://server.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=d:/mymap.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=my_layer&BBOX=w,x,y,z&FORMAT=image/png&WIDTH=500&HEIGHT=500&SRS=EPSG:4326&STYLES="

The link doesn't work

Thanks a lot again!!