[Qgis-user] Geotiff of french topographic maps / hiking with QGIS & OSM

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Tue Jan 31 14:35:23 PST 2012

Hi,
It's quite doable to combine OSM and elevation data (level curves) in
QGIS.
See my first example here:
http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/OpenStreetMap_data_rendered_with_QGIS

(But maybe you knew this, or did I misunderstood "forget about the
elevation information" ?  Just use gdal_contour to put SRTM data into
postgis.)

The main thing missing in above rendering is a UTM grid (easy; useful if
you have a GPSr).
Even better with a subgrid like here (made with QGIS for A3 printing):

http://es.scribd.com/doc/74670863/Cartina-Ranco-Comabbio-Lago-Maggiore

Then save in vector pdf, print and have a nice hike!

I've just released my version 5 of osm2postgresql
this may help for using OSM data in QGIS

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osm2postgresql/

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2postgresql

Cilaos and Piton de la Fournaise area seem not to bad in OSM (while
Mafate lacks data).

Mayeul