[Qgis-user] problem with Vector>Merge Shapefiles

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Jun 5 22:10:42 PDT 2012

Am 05.06.12 23:22, schrieb Giacomo Fontanelli:
> Hello everybody
> I use QGis 1.7.4. and Windows Seven.
> I would like to merge 10 polygonal shape files in a single shapefile. I
> putted all the single shape files in the same folder but when I start the
> process here comes this error message:
>
> Errore durante l'esecuzione di codice Python:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:\PROGRA~2\Quantum GIS
> Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins\fTools\tools\doMergeShapes.py", line 124,
> in accept
>      if self.inEncoding == None:

If you dont want to switch to the dev version, you can try this:
(from
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/23647/what-is-the-problem-with-the-merge-shapefiles-tool-in-qgis>
)

Browse in Windows Explorer to the file mentioned:

 >    File "C:\PROGRAMS (X86)\Quantum GIS
 > Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins\fTools\tools\doMergeShapes.py"

open it with a suitable editor (I use notepad++)
in line 22 you will find:

> self.outFileName = None

insert after that:

    self.inEncoding = None

you have to adjust the beginning of the line with blanks (do not use
tabulator key!) so that the self. are standing left aligned.
Save the file and start Qgis again.

HTH,
André Joost