[Qgis-user] Field Calculator: dynamic calculations

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jun 11 02:04:34 PDT 2012

 Hi Peter,

 Dynamic recalculation of field values is not yet available in QGIS. If
 your datasource is in a database (PostgreSQL, SpatiaLite, MSSQL, Sybase,
 etc.) you can use views to simulate this behavior. At least in
 PostgreSQL you would als have to create rules to allow editing of views.

 I agree that it would be nice to have dynamic calculation builtin into
 QGIS so one can do these in the client and on file-based data storage
 (such as shapefiles).

 If you use QGIS a lot you could consider sponsoring this feature for
 QGIS 1.9 or whatever comes next.

 Andreas

 On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:45:07 +0200, Peter Schürch wrote:
> Hi all,
> How would I implement a dynamic calculation with the field
> calculator? With dynamic I mean that the result would change as
> values
> change in the input fields. With a Shape file, the result field
> obviously only contains the numerical result of any calculation and
> when the input changes I have to retype and re-execute the
> calculation
> in the field  calculator.
> In other GIS-Systems I have used this would be called a query.
>
> Thanks for any input on this.
> Peter
>

> --
> QGis 1.7.4, Windows 7