[Qgis-user] SUM line lengths - QGIS 1.7.4

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Jun 20 03:14:51 PDT 2012

Hi,
I've opened a DGN file of contours, and would like to calculate the sum
of the lengths of all the contours.

Using Vector->Analysis Tools->Sum Line Lengths  is totally counter
intuitive (OK, for me!).

Why do I have to have a polygon in order to sum line lengths - In SHAPE
file methodology those geometries are even in separate files!
And then to create a new poly layer in order to see the calculated value
seems kind of arb.
Is the polygon perimeter also added to the calculated length?

If said polygon is purely for creating a selection subset of the
line-lengths to be summed, then why not use the selection tool instead?

When querying an individual line, its length is shown as a derived
field. If there was a way to put derived fields into the attribute
tables, then at least that column could be summed.

Anyway, it seems like I have missed the point of summing line lengths in
this way, so please can someone enlighten me why this methodology is useful.

Thanks & regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za