[Qgis-user] Problems with qgis 1.8 on win7

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:12:12 PDT 2012

Gracias otra vez Gerardo and thanks to everyone for helping out with this.
In fact,  having the problem shown in

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3180464/ScreenShot004.jpg

is my major concern. I'll be away from that machine until Friday
afternoon so cannot test if this problem is caused
by having the google layer in the background and not having the plugin
installed, but it looks like this is the most reasonable explanation
at the moment.
I actually remember that I tried to install the Open Layers plugin
and could not find it. Perhaps because this plugin is in one of the
repos (Sourcepole) that cannot be automatically
displayed any more because the "Add 3rd party repositories" button is
gone. I (wrongly) assumed that the plugin had been moved to core. In
case the lack of the plugin is the reason, we have here the first
negative impact of eliminating the "Add..."  button. I think that this
type of designing decisions should be consulted in the users lists to
listen to the opinion of a wider community.

Also, and in case I can confirm that the problem is caused by not
having the plugin installed, a more graceful error handling
would be appreciated (i.e. a message stating "QGIS cannot handle one
layer because the appropriate plugin is not installed"). But I
understand this could not be as easy as it seems.

Agus