[Qgis-user] any ideas how to get data from attribute table out of qgis

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Fri Jun 22 05:29:53 PDT 2012

I can highly recommend using spatialite databases! (postgis seems to be
THE solution for all professionals, but spatialite has the charms that
even noobs can do it!)

QGIS handles "big" datasets from shape files quite inefficient and a lot
of actions just lead to a frozen application.
The same is valid for exporting data i fear.

I found a workaround that is a bit complicated, but is much faster and
more reliable than trying to do it with the core mechanisms.

1. create a spatialite database and import your shape:
For this i use the spatialite-gui.exe (http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/).
Its faster and more reliable than the Qspatialite-plugin!
With the Qspatialite-plugin, connect to the database-file and load your
table as a layer into qgis.

2. Now you can do whatever you want with your attributes. Changes are
saved directly into the sqlite database.

3. Export your data:
In the spatialite-gui, right click on your table and export the data to
txt, csv, dbf etc etc

Before i'm able to use postgis in the future, i will for sure use
spatialite for all my qgis-work, cause it saved me hours of pain and
mostly did what i wanted (and i didn't even discover more than the obvious
functionalities yet)

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374