[Qgis-user] OpenLayers plugin crashes QGIS

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 01:58:26 PDT 2012

The openlayers plugin will only work with projections that Google et.al
is using - that means EPSG:900913 or EPSG:3857 (which essentially is the
same projection). So you are restricted to these two projections for
your project. If you want to add (vector) layers with a different
projection to the map, you have to enable "on the fly" CRS coordinate
transformation for the project.

This works for me (TM) :

  * Create a new empty project in QGIS.
  * Add an "openlayer" based layer. A map of the globe will be
    displayed. The project CRS will switch to EPSG:3857. "On the fly"
    CRS transformation will be enabled.
  * Zoom in to the area, you are interested in.
  * Add a normal vector layer (in my case, a tab file). This will be
    displayed reprojected to EPSG:3857

Windows 7-64 bit, QGIS 1.7.4 rev. 411aff6, openlayers plugin 0.92.

If you still have problems, you could try to install QGIS ver. 1.8.0.
The two versions of QGIS "lives" in different directories and can co-exist.

NB ! When I change the project projection to EPSG:25832 (ETRS89/UTM32N)
the plugin _doesn't_ crash. But the layers are misplaced and have a
"wrong" north

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
Aestas-GIS