[Qgis-user] Python plugins for 1.8

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:29:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Luca Casagrande
<luca.casagrande at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paolo Cavallini wrote
>>
>> Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:
>>
>>> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
>>> repository" button.
>>> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
>>> with the explanation of what happened.
>>> What do you think about?
>>
>> -1
>> I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating
>> the plugins
>> (at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which has major
>> advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs have not
>> time nor
>> interest to do the migration in these days.
>> All the best.
>>

> I know that the problem is migrating the plugins to the new infrastructure,
> but some users who update or install 1.8 don't know this situation.
> My idea is to write something to explain this.
>
> L.

I know the docs are currently undergoing revision, but currently the
instructions at
http://docs.qgis.org/user_guide/html/en/plugins/plugins.html#repositories-tab
still say to click the "Add 3rd party repositories" button.

Last night I added the QGIS Contributed Repository to 1.8 to get a
plugin I used in 1.7.4 that is not (yet?) in Official, but I'm a
little unclear about whether the distinction between Official and
Contributed will be meaningful going forward.
IIUC, any plugin that satisfies some minimal requirements (no
malicious code, at least minimal documentation, etc.) will get
approved for Official. Is the idea that all plugins from Contributed
should migrate to Official (at the authors' initiation and timetable)
and Contributed will go away?

--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth & Environmental Sciences (Geography)