[Qgis-user] QGIS - Mapinfo question

Robert Beasley robert.beasley at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 02:06:15 PDT 2012

Apologies for a very basic newbie's question.

I have been sent a georeferenced JPEG with its associated .tab file created in Mapinfo which I was able to open in QGIS and add a new shapefile layer for them.

As far as I can tell however, I can only save the result as a raster file, PDF or, possibly a SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphic) to return it to them.   At the moment therefore, it looks as though the 'project' will not work and will have to be abandoned.

Is anyone able to tell me if there is a 'workaround'  which will enable me to create files (e.g .tab) in QGIS that will be readable in Mapinfo?

My needs are very simple:  I just need to use Mapinfo jpeg and tab files in QGIS, add vector layers, and return the files to a Mapinfo user.
Robert Beasley
1, Church St., Northborough. Peterborough, Cambs., PE6 9BN (UK)
Phone/Answer 01733 253088
Email: robert.beasley at tiscali.co.uk