[Qgis-user] Georefrencing paper map

. digitalmaps at cox.net
Thu Jun 28 10:04:07 PDT 2012

On 6/28/2012 11:12 AM, Gerardo Jimenez wrote:
> Hi
>
> I made this one for my non english speaking students.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Durq2vpe3k&feature=plcp
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Durq2vpe3k&feature=plcp>
>
> Hope it helps
>
> Gerardo Jiménez Delgado
> Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
> Ciudad Universitaria s/n
> Coyoacan 04510 Mexico City
> Mexico 56 22 95 16
>
> > From: giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
> > To: digitalmaps at cox.net
> > Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:56:29 +0100
> > CC: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> > Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Georefrencing paper map
> >
> > On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 16:46 -0500, . wrote:
> > > Is there a recommended georefrencing tutorial that can explain how to
> > > locate a paper map in GIS?
> >
> > this video has just been updated on youtube
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUx-7wj0-U&feature=em-uploademail
> >
> > but there are plenty of resources, see the qgis wiki
> >

> > cheers
> >
> > -- Giovanni --

Thanks. I managed to figure it out late last night.

1) I open the scanned map in Gimp and place three reference dots along
the top edge, left, middle and right. I place two dots at 1/3 and 2/3
mark along bottom edge. This is the time to crop and rotate the image as
necessary. Also I reduce the DPI and image size as much as possible to
reduce the file size while sitll being readable.

2) Then I open the marked file in Google Earth, position and scale it
and draw a polyline that connects the dots in a big "W" pattern and save
the W as a kml file.

3) In QGIS I import the W file and georeference the marked file using
the properly positioned polyline.

Easy peasy.