[Qgis-user] Python plugins for 1.8

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jun 28 17:51:36 PDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 03:26 PM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012, 16.49:13 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
>> Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:
>>> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
>>> repository" button.
>>> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
>>> with the explanation of what happened.
>>> What do you think about?
>>
>> -1
>> I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the
>> plugins (at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which
>> has major advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs
>> have not time nor interest to do the migration in these days.
>
> I was surprised as well that the 3rd party button has been removed. Can you
> point me to the discussion thread leading to this decision? The options on the
> third tab do still imply 3rd party repositories.
>
> An incomplete list of plugins, which users of 1.8 won't ever find:
> -EasyPrint
> -CAD Tools
> -Click-Fu
> -TopoColour
> -OpenLayers plugin
> -Mapfile tools
> -Metatools
> -Interlis plugin
> -Quantumnik
> -OSM Tools
>
> Who is coordinating the transfer of all plugins to the new repo?
>
> Regards
> Pirmin

Nobody (afaik), it's been left up to the authors of the plugins to
migrate them. Want to suggest a grace period after which we let anyone
do it (Not that there's any technical reason stopping anyone right now)?

I thought OSM shipped with QGIS now. Are you sure all of those plugins
are still supported and work with 1.8?

Users can still add all the 3rd party repos they want, we just tried to
make that less appealing (you must do it by hand) in the hopes that
authors would finally move their plugins.

Thanks,
Alex