[Qgis-user] georeferencing

M.E.Dodd m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 02:25:29 PST 2012

Some more details.
1. I have large 60mb .tiff (generated eventually from yesterdays .dxf file that I was trying to geocode and have given up for moment but will return to).  The .tiff has transparency.

2.  using:
QGIS version 1.9.90-Alpha QGIS code revision 9a9ab73 Compiled against Qt 4.7.1 Running against Qt 4.7.1 GDAL/OGR Version 1.8.1 GEOS Version 3.2.2 PostgreSQL Client Version 8.3.10 SpatiaLite Version 2.4.0 QWT Version 5.2.1
On windowsxp

3. used the georeferencer.  Identified points on the image and gave them the epsg:900913 x and y coordinates.  Actually I gps'd the 9 reference locations with survey grade gps and converted these data to the google reference system using http://twcc.free.fr/ which seemed to give reasonable results although not able to check accuracy other than plotting on google background.

4. chose transformation type: polynomial 1, resampling: nearest neighbour, no compression and target srs epsg900913 and load into qgis automatically.

5. the mean transformation error was 2.08 pixels which I think is pretty reasonable as I am not trying for extreme accuracy in this case.

6. then looking at the map with openstreetmap background the control points automatically appeared (I did not add them as a separate layer), they were in the correct place. But the map itself was shown about 19km further north than it should have been, I could measure exactly how far north and if its only the northing that is wrong.