[Qgis-user] Map Units in Map Composer

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:12:56 PST 2012

Hi
I am a bit confused about the map units referred to in the settings for the
scale bar in the map composer.

On my original field slips I drew the UTM co-ordinates and in a temporary
shape layer I have drawn points to correspond to the UTM co-ordinates. The
field slips are tiff images that I have georeferenced. I have checked and
my project is set to be in UTM:

+proj=utm +zone=35 +south +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs
+towgs84=0,0,0

I have specified the scale bar in the map composer to have the following
values:

Segment Size: 0.01

Map units per  bar unit: 0.01

So the first bit of confusion is about the segment size(map units) as I
would expect that to be meters, so Segment size should have been 100m...

Secondly and more importantly, the scale bar does not match up with my
temporary shape layer. With the current settings the scale bar should be
roughly a km but it is slightly longer than that. I fairly sure I am
missing something and would appreciate anyone being able to shed light on
these scaling issues.

Regards

--
Gerhardus Geldenhuis